Stavebnica DH Mosquito PR.IV / B.IV Special Liveries (1:144)
MKM14494 DH Mosquito PR.IV/B.IV ’Special Liveries’ (RAF, BOAC, Luftwaffe)
The de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito was a British multi-role combat aircraft developed in 1939. The Mosquito was constructed almost entirely of wood and, as such, it was dubbed “The Wooden Wonderˮ. Originally conceived as an unarmed high-speed bomber, it was later adapted to many other roles, including day-time tactical bomber, night bomber, day or night fighter, fighter-bomber, maritime interceptor and photo-reconnaissance aircraft.
The Mosquito B Mk.IV was a day and night bomber variant, whose prototype first flew in September 1941. Some 300 aircraft were built (incl. Srs.I a/c); Series II model entered service in May 1942. It was a two-seat, twin-engine, mid-wing monoplane, of a composite wood construction, fitted with a retractable undercarriage. The crew was seated under conventional canopy and for bombing a glazed nose was provided. It was powered by two Merlin in-line engines turning narrow three-bladed propellers. Its internal bombload was 2,000 lb (908 kg), while a provision was also made for two 50-gal (227 1itre) underwing drop tanks or two 250lb bombs.
27 Mosquito B Mk.IVs were converted to the PR Mk.IV photo-reconnaissance aircraft, equipped with four vertical and one oblique camera. The first operational flight by a PR Mk.IV was made in April 1942. It was also used by the BOAC as a fast transport aeroplane to carry high-value cargo to, and from, neutral countries, such as Sweden. In 1944 a captured Mosquito B Mk.IV was tested by the Trials and Research Unit of the Luftwaffe.
1) de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito PR Mk.IV, DK310, Sky LY-G, No.1 PRU, Royal Air Force, Benson airfield, summer 1942
2) de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito PR Mk.IV, DZ473, No.540 Sq., Royal Air Force, Leuchars airfield, photographing Peenemünde with V-2 rockets, June 1943
3) de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito PR Mk.IV, G-AGFV (ex-DZ411), Black G-AGFV outlined in Light Grey, British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC), Leuchars airfield, used for high-speed diplomatic courier and “ball-bearing” flights between the UK and Sweden, early 1943
4) de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito B Mk.IV (Srs.II), Black T9+XB, 2./VVB OKL Trials and Research Unit of the Luftwaffe High Command (Versuchsverband des Oberkommandos der Luftwaffe), Luftwaffe, Königsberg-Neumark airfield, Germany, summer 1944
This injection-moulded kit contains 64 parts and eleven clear parts (the cockpit canopy, nose window, wing tips with position lights etc.). A comprehensive decal sheet is included.